Wednesday, 28 November 2012

What must I convey in my music video?

The track I have chosen for my music video project is Professional Griefers by the artist Deadmau5 who is an electronic music producer and DJ. As such the audience will have a number of expectations related to the genre and the way the artist presents himself.

As electronic music is most commonly heard during parties and in clubs, the audience will expect to see to a party scene or a large gathering of people in one location however I do not think I will be able to gather such as a large amount of people, thus I will try to challenge this convention by having a much lower amount of people appear in my video while still keeping the video upbeat and exciting.

The audience would also expect to see the artists logo in the video which he uses on all his related media including CD covers and websites, this helps the audience to identify who the media text belongs to through symbolism without needing text to explain. This is important as it is a part of the artists identity and I do not think I will have any problems incorporating the logo into my music video.

Flashing lights and special effects are also synonymous with clubs and electronic music, they help to create excitement within the audience and help to set the pace for a performance but also connote to the modern day and future. Therefore I think the audience would expect to see at least some bright coloured lights during the video which I think I can have somewhere in my music video.

The majority of electronic music videos usually have a narrative they follow instead of showing the artist performance though some videos incorporate performance footage in between narrative footage or are edited in using the as-live style, I think doing something like this would be moderately easy to put into my music video.

As electronic music is usually fast paced, the music videos also feature fast paced footage with sharp, quick cuts unless an extended shot has an interesting sequence to match the music. I think I can replicate this however my chosen track has a mix of fast and slow sections thus I will also be able to use a mix of both.


No comments:

Post a Comment